Aadhaar Biometrics: Aadhaar is a unique identification number issued by the Indian government to its citizens. It contains demographic and biometric information of the individual, making it an important document for various purposes. However, with the increasing concern about privacy and security, it is crucial to safeguard your Aadhaar information.
One way to enhance the security of your Aadhaar is by locking your biometrics. When you lock your biometrics, it adds an extra layer of protection to prevent any unauthorized access or misuse of your biometric data. In this blog post, we will guide you on how to lock your Aadhaar biometrics.
How to Lock Your Aadhaar Biometrics:
- Visit the UIDAI Website: Go to the official UIDAI website at https://uidai.gov.in/.
- Find “Aadhaar Services”: Look for the “Aadhaar Services” or “My Aadhaar” section on the website. The location and naming may vary, but you should find services related to your Aadhaar here.
- Select “Lock/Unlock Biometrics”: Within the Aadhaar Services section, click on the “Lock/Unlock Biometrics” option.
- Enter Your Aadhaar Number: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number when prompted.
- Receive an OTP: You will receive a One-Time Password (OTP) on your registered mobile number. Enter this OTP to verify your identity.
- Lock Your Biometrics: After entering the OTP, you will have the option to lock or unlock your biometrics. Select “Lock Biometrics.”
- Confirm Your Decision: A confirmation message will appear, asking if you are sure you want to lock your biometrics. Confirm your decision to lock your biometrics.
How to Unlock Aadhaar Biometrics?
To unlock your Aadhaar biometrics, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the UIDAI Website:
- Go to the official UIDAI website at https://uidai.gov.in/.
- Find “Aadhaar Services”:
- Look for the “Aadhaar Services” or “My Aadhaar” section on the website.
- Select “Lock/Unlock Biometrics”:
- Within the Aadhaar Services section, click on the “Lock/Unlock Biometrics” option.
- Enter Your Aadhaar Number:
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number when prompted.
- Receive an OTP:
- You will receive a One-Time Password (OTP) on your registered mobile number. Enter this OTP to verify your identity.
- Unlock Your Biometrics:
- After entering the OTP, you will have the option to unlock your biometrics. Select “Unlock Biometrics.”
- Confirm Your Decision:
- A confirmation message will appear, asking if you are sure you want to unlock your biometrics. Confirm your decision to unlock your biometrics.
- The biometric unlock is temporary and allows you to use your biometrics for a specific duration.
- If your mobile number is not registered with Aadhaar, you will need to visit the nearest Aadhaar Enrolment Centre or a Mobile Update End Point to get your mobile number registered.
After unlocking your biometrics, you can use them for activities like Aadhaar-based transactions or e-KYC processes. Remember to re-lock your biometrics when you’re done using them to maintain security.
How to Lock or Unlock Aadhaar Biometrics through the mAadhaar App:
- Download the App:
- First, download the mAadhaar app from the Android or iOS app store if you haven’t already.
- Open the app and log in using your Aadhaar number and the OTP received on your registered mobile number.
- Access Biometric Options:
- Once you are logged in, look at the upper right corner of the app interface. There, you will find three dots (an ellipsis). Click on these three dots.
- Select Biometric Option:
- In the menu that appears, choose the “Biometric” option.
- Lock or Unlock Biometrics:
- Within the Biometric section, you’ll have the option to lock or unlock your Aadhaar biometrics. Select the relevant option based on your requirement.
- Complete the Process:
- After selecting the “Lock” or “Unlock” option, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- OTP Verification:
- An OTP (One-Time Password) will be sent to your registered mobile number. The mAadhaar app will automatically fetch this OTP.
- Biometrics Status:
- Once the OTP is verified, your Aadhaar biometrics will be either locked or unlocked based on your choice. If you’re unlocking, your biometrics will be unlocked temporarily for 10 minutes.
Important Note: It’s essential to remember that you cannot disable the Aadhaar biometric lock option through the mAadhaar app. If you wish to disable the biometric lock, you’ll need to use the official UIDAI website.
What Happens After Locking Your Aadhaar Biometrics:
- Enhanced Security: When you lock your Aadhaar biometrics, it adds an extra layer of security to your Aadhaar information. This means that your fingerprint and iris data cannot be used for authentication until you unlock them.
- Prevents Unauthorized Use: Locking your biometrics prevents unauthorized individuals from using your biometric data for activities like Aadhaar-based transactions or e-KYC (Know Your Customer) processes. It offers protection against potential misuse.
- Temporary Unlock: If you need to use your biometrics for any legitimate purpose, you can temporarily unlock them for a specified period. This can be done through the UIDAI website using a similar process. Once that period expires, your biometrics will automatically re-lock for your security.
- Control Over Your Data: Locking and unlocking your biometrics gives you control over when and how your biometric information is used, adding a valuable layer of privacy and security.
Who Should Lock Their Biometrics?
Aadhaar number holders who have registered mobile numbers are encouraged to lock their biometrics. This additional security feature helps protect sensitive biometric data, including fingerprints, iris scans, and facial recognition information.
When to Lock Your Biometrics:
Locking your biometrics is especially important in the following scenarios:
- When You’re Not Using Biometric Authentication: If you are not currently using Aadhaar-based biometric authentication services and wish to prevent unauthorized access to your biometric data, consider locking your biometrics. It’s a proactive step to enhance security.
- When You Want to Strengthen Privacy: Locking your biometrics is an effective way to strengthen the privacy and confidentiality of your biometric information. If you value the security of your personal data, it’s a recommended practice.
- When Biometrics are Not Required: If you don’t foresee the need for biometric authentication for a certain period, you can lock your biometrics. It’s especially helpful when you want to prevent any inadvertent or unauthorized usage.